Understand Your Legal Rights Before & During Your Marriage
If you get married without a premarital agreement, it doesn't mean that you do not have one. It actually means you are just opting into the default rules of the California Family Code, among other default state and federal laws. At People Law Practice, we can help you make the right choices for your unique situation.
Call our Oakland Premarital & Post marital Agreement lawyer at (415) 849-2278 today to get started!
“She was so helpful and professional about answering all the questions I had, as well as looking at my best interest.”- Jo J.
“She is knowledgeable, patient, personable, and straightforward.”- Teresa T.
“I was originally very intimidated by these documents, but after using Susanna, I felt comfortable with the entire process.”- Amanda C.
“She truly cares about her clients and advises them with a professional and thoughtful solution.”- Lin O.
“She truly listened and cared about my situation and was very thoughtful in her responses”- Tracy V.
You're faced with a lot of tough choices when you're planning a wedding: cakes, venues, flowers, and seating arrangements. One decision you might not want to make is whether or not to get a prenup. Prenuptial agreements tend to scare off couples who are preparing for marriage. But many people get them. By signing a prenuptial agreement, you and your spouse will agree on how assets should be divided should you get divorced. It provides protection and comfort to both parties involved.
We can help you:
- Negotiate the division of your assets
- Craft the prenup agreement
- Execute the prenup agreement
How to Adjust the Agreement to Suit Your Needs
California lawmakers have tried their best to write a set of rules and laws that are the best fit for as many people as possible. However, this doesn't always mean it is the best for you and your family. Premarital and post-marital agreements are a way for couples to set up the marriage in a way that is the best fit for them. Below are some examples of changes you and your spouse may make to this default set of rules.
- Default California rule: We are a community property state: income earned during the marriage is community property.
- A couple could instead decide: We would still like to adhere to our community property but we would like our retirement accounts to be confirmed to each of us as separate property. OR,
- A couple could instead decide: We want our income to be separate property.
- Default California rule: In the case of marriages that last less than 10 years, spousal support can be half the length of the marriage.
- A couple could instead decide: Limitations to spousal support by year, amount, etc.
- Default California rule: Buying a house before marriage does not automatically characterize it as a separate property asset depending on how long you were married and whether the marital funds went to pay off the home.
- A couple could instead decide: A premarital or post-marital agreement can clarify your intent and set other rules.
Our prenuptial agreement lawyer in Oakland is committed to setting your family up for success. Contact People Law Practice today to begin.
We intentionally charge on the lower end of market rate because we want to be able to help a wide variety of people and help them feel good about their experience working with our firm.
Your experience is important to us. We understand what you're going through and will ensure your voice is heard.
We are a highly intuitive, settlement-focused family law firm. Our intention is to help each client resolve their legal issue with efficiency and as peacefully as possible.
We will first search for an amicable solution. If there is truly no amicable solution, we will provide our clients with a comprehensive account of their legal options and help them create the best case-strategy.